Monday, February 21, 2011

World Events and Furthering Classroom Goals.

This article in Education Week, illustrates the importance of immersive education. Using current events you can give students of all ages connections to things that may have happened over a hundred years ago. I really liked how some of the teachers made those connection between different civilizations and brought this, most useful, information into their classroom. I can even see bringing it to my math classroom, using statistics and demographics as well as other aspects of world events into the classroom to illustrate basic math concepts. Showing how the proportions of Egyptians who support the revolution can have a greater impact as a unit, and showing mathematical relations between monetary power and social power. I also like how these teachers didn't have to reinvent the wheel. There are already hundreds of resources out their for teachers to use and adapt to different situations. I hope through current events my classroom can be more immersive and exciting for my students.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for blogging about this article; I would have missed it otherwise. I'm glad to see you already thinking about how you could apply the ideas in this article to a subject you hope to teach. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete