Wednesday, November 2, 2011

2 of 3 My classroom


  • Preview and reflect on each of the following mini-presentations.


Math is not Linear is my favorite of the three presentations. First I think Prezi is brilliant and second I agree that math touches so many facets of our day to day life and is so expansive that to teach it without context is like learning to use a computer without having one to work with (this has been done). Connecting previous knowledge is the obvious part of the equation, but I really appreciated that she talked about making connections to future learning. I think this is great. It gets students to think ahead in life and make connections to the fact that it does get easier and more obvious. 

The Jump model of teaching math made a lot of sense to me and I have tried to use something similar when helping students with math work in classes I have volunteered in. Breaking every problem up into smaller problems helps show how working on even the hardest problem can be simplified. I also recently used an iPad app called AlgebraTouch that shows you how to break up algebra problems into different components using simple “one-touch” demonstrations. It makes these problems very easy and is very fun to work with. This video didn’t go into as much detail about the Jump method but I did download one of the free sample worksheets and it looks like it demonstrates this strategy very well.

The flip classroom is a good way to set up any classroom that would normally be lecture centered. It gives students a chance to have access to the teacher when working on real problems. It does let students watch the lectures at their own pace but I worry about students who don’t have access to computers or simply don’t do their homework. You would have to lecture to them anyway or set aside time for them to watch the video in class. It also doesn’t give students a chance to ask questions as the lecture goes along. Maybe some sort of hybrid with a teacher available in a forum while students watch the videos at home would be more appropriate. You could use it in bridged classrooms where multiple levels are being taught at once, letting students watch Kahn Academy to get a second perspective on the lesson would in my opinion be a good idea.

The talent code is an interesting statement and I have often heard that practice makes perfect. I have also heard second hand that if you do anything for 10,000 hours before you become an adult, you will reach genius level in that subject. Both point out that it is possible for every kid to be an allstar if they just put their mind to it and practice. I also like the idea of breaking up the subject, especially math, into chunks and practicing pieces individually. I hope to use this method in my teaching.

Together these techniques would help to foster a better learning environment for many students. I will use elements of all of them in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment