Saturday, April 23, 2011

"why and how they learn" Keys to good learning!

Research is an interesting thing. If you ask the right questions you can always get the answers you want.

In this article by Sarah D. Sparks she discusses research that backs up the theory that if learning is difficult you will actually learn more. This makes sense to me because it means to me because if something is harder and you spend the time you are spending more effort. And by spending more effort you are getting more in return from your education. Making the connection of why and how you learn goes along way to making connections to what you are learning and why it's important. I like research like this because it supports my basic educational philosophies. I have never been a great student but I have always learned more by spending the time and energy to learn while I go, as appose to cramming at the last minute. Unfortunately I only do this when the subject is interesting to me and I like what I am doing. At the middle school and high school level it is hard to engage students in every subject. The question then becomes how do we get students to enjoy studying the hard way in subject they don't care about? If we can answer that questions we have solved all of our educational woes... except funding:(

No comments:

Post a Comment