Monday, March 28, 2011

What to do with the rest of my life?

I have been trying to decide what I want to do when I graduate in just over a year. The local economy and school district don't look to promising and I have been thinking a lot about different opportunities. There are many articles about Teach for America on Edweek.com, and I have been thinking lately that I need to look into this organizations. This search brought up more than ten articles with both positive and negative that I thought where very interesting. It looks to me that several alumni from the program have gone on to do some good things, but that it may be a very difficult first couple of years. The overall success rate according to this article does give me some hope compared to the 50 percent of regular teachers who don't make through the first couple of years. 61 percent is a slightly bigger number and maybe the experience would do me some good. I am still open to anything at this point and the more experience I can garner the better.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of Teach for America before, but it sounds interesting. I think if you are truly concerned about your prospects of obtaining a job in education in a year or so, the best thing you can do now is to be proactive and make as many connections as possible in different districts. From my experiences, male teachers are of increased demand so that should bode well for you. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete