Saturday, November 20, 2010

He got part of it right.

Bill Gates has suddenly become an educational expert. This article on edweek.org talks about Bill's view on educational reform. I think this is another example of business leaders getting it wrong. He talks about merit pay and the effects of compensation on teacher quality. As we are just now learning from Alfie Kohn, Rewards and Punishments are two sides of the same coin. As this applies to teachers, Bill would manipulate teachers into being better by paying them to succeed. I know I have talked about this before but what these business leaders don't realize is that unlike them many, many people are not motivated by money. And as the research, noted in this article and by Mr. Kohn, shows, that this does not work. The intrinsic drive of most teachers is to affect change in their students lives. I propose that if you make sure that teachers don't have to worry about their lives or the lives of their students outside of the classroom by making sure both get the resources they deserve, we will see great improvement in the educational system. I do think that Bill got part if right when he said that making short term, one-time cuts will hurt students academically. So let us now focus on a long term solution that will benefit everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments about Bill Gates and merit pay. It irks me that he is considered a person of such importance when it comes to school reform. He's got so much money and appears to want to spend it to improve public education, why isn't he promoting the use of programs and methods that have actually already been shown to be successful? Wouldn't that make more sense than promoting what he THINKS might improve education?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, any talk at all about merit based pay for teachers scares me, no matter who is promoting the idea! There are so many factors involved in student success that teachers have no control over. For example, their financial status, their English language abilities, their home life (parental support), their SPED status. As a future teacher, of course I want all my students to be the best they can be, and I will give my full effort toward making sure students are confident and capable in their skills to pass State tests. But I do not believe I should be punished, if despite my best efforts, a student does not pass a test.

    I think if the goal is to create better teachers, then there should be more mentoring systems and a chance for teachers to collaborate about methods that work well. I think PLC's, newly implemented across the state, are a move in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete